Ingredients (serves 10)
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1 tablespoon boiling water
250g butter, chopped
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 cups self-raising flour
250g cream cheese, softened
250g mascarpone cheese
1/3 cup pure icing sugar
grated dark chocolate, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Lightly grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
2. Combine coffee and boiling water in a bowl. Stir until coffee is dissolved.
3. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add brown sugar, caster sugar and coffee mixture. Stir to dissolve. Remove from heat. Whisk in eggs, milk and flour. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
4. Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and mascarpone until smooth. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until combined.
5. Using a serrated knife, cut cake crossways into 3 layers. Place bottom layer on a plate. Spread with one-third of cheese mixture. Repeat with middle layer and half remaining cheese mixture. Top with remaining layer, cheese mixture and grated chocolate. Serve.